Sometimes we need to be reminded of the basics, at least I do. This isn’t really a recipe, more of a reminder of how good nachos can be. This winter has been pretty brutal and sometimes you need a little comfort food. Nachos are the perfect comfort food in my books. They are delicious, filling, crowd pleasing and super easy to prepare.
So get out your favorite corn chips, cheese and veggies and make the best nachos ever. Sometimes snack food for dinner is just what you need! And it’s kinda healthy, look there’s vegetables! We didn’t this time but you can add beans, chicken or beef for more protein!
- Corn chips (most are gluten-free, but always check!)
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Veggies: chopped red peppers, jalapenos, red onion, green onion and avocado (add the avo only after baking)
After baking in a 450 F oven for 5-10 minutes (or as much time it took to brown the cheese a little, you can also broil) we added chopped avocado and served with salsa and lime on the side.
Tip: tinfoil is the lazy nacho makers BFF! Minimal clean-up.
There are no rules! Try a bunch of different combos!
Some more ideas:
- blue corn chips or flavored chips
- beans (black beans or refried beans)
- more protein options: chicken or tofu
- different cheeses (you can used Daiya for vegan nachos)
- more veggie options: tomatoes, corn, sprouts..
- olives or pickled jalapenos
- fresh herbs (coriander or chives work well)
- serve with : sour cream, guacamole…